This past Sunday, the two One! International schools performed the play Annie for their families. Unfortunately, I have no pictures to post as I was knee-deep in helping. Hopefully, I can get a picture or two to post at a later date.
Tackling this play was a big undertaking for a number of reasons. For those who are familiar with the play/movie, the storyline is quite complex and most of the children only had one viewing of the DVD prior to the event. The script was shortened up somewhat to accommodate the lines being said in English AND Hindi. This was a huge accomplishment for the children. It was interesting that during the performance, they sometimes forgot to include the translation to Hindi...a reflection of how well some of the children are doing with learning their English in school.
These two schools did not have an opportunity to practice together beforehand! Not unlike performances involving children from any country, there was some confusion, some chaos, some missed lines, some forgotten props, but overall the evening was a huge success. Part way through the Annie show, Mr. Warbuck's took Annie to a "dance show", where all of the children, including the three-year-olds, danced a short Indian dance with their age-related group. The energy in the room quadrupled as the audience cheered, clapped and sang along as the children energetically performed. It was a bit of a challenge to get them to settle back into the second half of the play.
After the show, everyone ate and all children received a bag containing a new toothbrush, toothpaste, crayons, a toy and a "new" outfit (donated second-hand clothes). At the very end of the evening, each family had their photo taken; another highlight for the families. As one of the family photographers, I could sense the parents' pride as they posed with their children.
I think everyone went home happy and tired, me included!
Thanks for stopping by!
Tackling this play was a big undertaking for a number of reasons. For those who are familiar with the play/movie, the storyline is quite complex and most of the children only had one viewing of the DVD prior to the event. The script was shortened up somewhat to accommodate the lines being said in English AND Hindi. This was a huge accomplishment for the children. It was interesting that during the performance, they sometimes forgot to include the translation to Hindi...a reflection of how well some of the children are doing with learning their English in school.
These two schools did not have an opportunity to practice together beforehand! Not unlike performances involving children from any country, there was some confusion, some chaos, some missed lines, some forgotten props, but overall the evening was a huge success. Part way through the Annie show, Mr. Warbuck's took Annie to a "dance show", where all of the children, including the three-year-olds, danced a short Indian dance with their age-related group. The energy in the room quadrupled as the audience cheered, clapped and sang along as the children energetically performed. It was a bit of a challenge to get them to settle back into the second half of the play.
After the show, everyone ate and all children received a bag containing a new toothbrush, toothpaste, crayons, a toy and a "new" outfit (donated second-hand clothes). At the very end of the evening, each family had their photo taken; another highlight for the families. As one of the family photographers, I could sense the parents' pride as they posed with their children.
I think everyone went home happy and tired, me included!
Thanks for stopping by!
1 comment:
I remember plays when I was a kid- I was terrified of forgetting my lines! Sounds like it went fairly well, it will be a good memory for all.
Post a Comment