Wednesday, November 6

And now for some beauty!



I hope you are enjoying the blog posts. When I was packing, my goal was to pack light and I didn't bring a good camera. The quality of the pictures is not top-notch, but I hope you can still appreciate the colours in today's post. I been given a laptop to use for an undetermined amount of time, for sure only until I leave the school on December 20. I am grateful for this as it allows me to type more (I haven't yet truly mastered typing on the iPhone touch screen!) and include more pictures than I might without the laptop. After December 20, you can expect a lot less narrative and likely fewer posts!

This past weekend was a four-day weekend for the children, teachers and volunteers. The festival was Diwali (pronounced Divali), also called the Festival of Lights. It includes LOTS of fireworks, not all of which were aimed at the sky. Many were tossed into the streets which was slightly unnerving! Many people decorated their doorsteps with Rangoli which is decorative art made with coloured sand, granulated rice or flour (according to Wikipedia). The sand is applied by taking a small fistful and letting it trickle out the fist. It is a bit hard to describe but fascinating and impressive to watch!

This first piece of art was on the promenade along the ocean and it was approximately 12 feet in length. I did not see the person or people making it so I don't know exactly how the sand was laid. The others were approximately 2-3 feet in size. Sorry, I don't know how to flip the photos so they are the proper way.

 
 






And speaking of beauty....


Thanks for stopping by!

 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

How decorative! I bet they were stunning in person.

What a little sweetie. What is the age range of children at the school?

Shirley said...

Something different- kind of like sidewalk chalk art here. Cool! Lovely flowers too, and the little girl in her sparkly dress looks like she is right into the festival spirit.