Monday, November 11

Humbled and Inspired

I am learning from these people how I tend to impose limitations on myself and others. Projects that seem big to me are tackled with no obvious hesitation. Things I think will take days to finish are accomplished quicker that I predicted and with the involvement of many. No one needs to be convinced they should help, people jump in without waiting for an invitation or assignment.

Their resourcefulness and creativity is inspiring and humbling. Although sometimes it seems things get thrown out with little regard, the majority of the time items are recycled and repurposed, particularly paper and material. Books are repaired over and over, only to be thrown out when it is impossible to read the words (rats eat the pages). Today we made handheld pom-poms for the upcoming concert from old exams and homework.

I don't speak their language, but I don't sense an attitude of entitlement, nor does there seem to be complaining or whining about their current circumstances. Day after day, the children are fed virtually the same lunch and they eat with enthusiasm with many coming back for second or third helpings. I have a hard time imagining how Canadian children would cope with these conditions.

Tonight I will say a little prayer asking for these traits to be instilled in me.


Although this quote may seem extreme, I think it is fitting with today's post. It is a quote from Gandhi, from the book Gandhi The Man:

"Just as one must not receive, so must one not possess anything which one does not really need. It would be a breach of this principle to possess unnecessary foodstuffs, clothing, or furniture. For instance, one must not keep a chair if one can do without it. In observing this principle one is lead to a progressive simplification of one's own life."

Thanks for stopping by!

1 comment:

Shirley said...

Yes, a huge cultural difference. I think this journey is going to leave a lasting mark on you my friend.