This last weekend one of my roommates and I ventured nine hours east to Arungabad to see the Ellora caves. Rather than regurgitate a bunch of information on the caves in this post, I'm providing you history buffs with a link to find out more (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellora_Caves). I was surprised to learn from my boss that in 2002, when she last visited the site, it was not a well-developed tourist attraction with just a chain strung between two posts marking the entrance. Now there are manicured grounds (seen in the background of this first photo), paved paths between the caves and a restaurant. It was an hour bus ride (to go 29 km!) from the town of Arungabad. The bus ride cost us 50 cents each, just to give you an idea of how affordable things are here.
The next day, after we "shopped til we dropped", we went to visit Bibi Ka Maqbara tomb, which I later found out closely resembles the Taj Mahal, although it has not been cared for to the same extent. I will not be making the trek to the Taj as I am using my time for other adventures so it was exciting for me that I visited this one while we were in Arangubad.
We observed this quiet fellow who was taking time out to watch the visitors strolling along the path at the caves. I wonder what he was thinking about all of the tourists...
Lastly, the train ride home. On second thought, that would make this post way, way too long. If I'm shy of material for future posts (likely not), I'll tell you all about the experience.
This coming weekend the two schools are jointly performing the play Annie for their families. We are very busy at the school helping the children learn the songs and their lines, along with gathering and making props. The two schools are an hour apart and the children will not have a chance to rehearse together prior to the show on Sunday which should make for some interesting and entertaining moments.
PS. Yes, I AM missing snow :)
Thanks for stopping by!
This is an elevated view of Cave 16.
And here is me trying not to freak out as I sit a foot away from the (approx.) 300 foot drop off!
My American roommate and I kept commenting on the difference between North America and India in terms of safety codes. Did you catch on to the fact that there is NO railing? There was a suspicious looking man at the top of the cave with us (just the 3 of us were up top). I told Lauren that if he decided to push me over the edge, at least he wouldn't get my money because it would be going over the edge with me! hahaThe next day, after we "shopped til we dropped", we went to visit Bibi Ka Maqbara tomb, which I later found out closely resembles the Taj Mahal, although it has not been cared for to the same extent. I will not be making the trek to the Taj as I am using my time for other adventures so it was exciting for me that I visited this one while we were in Arangubad.
Bibi Ka Maqbara
Looking out of the lattice work of the tomb at the entrance to the site.
We observed this quiet fellow who was taking time out to watch the visitors strolling along the path at the caves. I wonder what he was thinking about all of the tourists...
Lastly, the train ride home. On second thought, that would make this post way, way too long. If I'm shy of material for future posts (likely not), I'll tell you all about the experience.
This coming weekend the two schools are jointly performing the play Annie for their families. We are very busy at the school helping the children learn the songs and their lines, along with gathering and making props. The two schools are an hour apart and the children will not have a chance to rehearse together prior to the show on Sunday which should make for some interesting and entertaining moments.
PS. Yes, I AM missing snow :)
Thanks for stopping by!
4 comments:
Good that you got to have a tourist day, you know what they say about all work and no play!
Love the monkey, cool dude just sitting there.
And there's NO WAY you would have got me that close to that drop off!!!
Shirley, I had to CRAWL to the edge! haha
I would have to crawl too! Thanks for sharing the pics Kim. PS: If I could send ALL the snow to you, I would (aren't I such a nice friend - lol)
Sounds like a great trip! I love visiting places with history.
It's funny how the monkey is relaxing on the curb like an old man on a bench lol
There are actually shows on TV featuring these kinds of monkeys and their "gang" dynamic as they steal food from markets and trespass on people's property in India
Post a Comment