Monday, November 18

Feeling Honoured

Time is flying by! Here is the latest...

Last week I went to visit the other school about an hour away from where I am staying. The town is smaller and the conditions more primitive, but the school is larger with more airflow and natural light. The was an informal visit and I spent the time making more handheld pom-poms for the upcoming play. I sat on the floor with about 8 other ladies and young female teens. Although the conversation was in Hindi, I felt very comfortable and very much a part of the group. There was much laughter, which I joined in with (of course!). One of the young girls approached, sat directly facing me about 2 feet away and proceeded to sing the Indian national anthem and one other Hindi song to me! I felt honoured and privileged. When I left, one of the amazingly talented teachers gave me this paper rose that she made while we were gathered together in our "ladies only group"...



On the weekend I attended a Reiki course. It was another amazing experience! It was just over an hour away so I packed a small bag in case I could find somewhere to sleep over. My search for a hotel on the internet was confusing and resulted in me finding nothing that seemed close to the course. I was honoured (yet again!) by being asked to stay the night with the Reiki master and his wife. At their house, as well as at the course, everyone treated me like a queen and made me feel very welcome.

Today, while at the school, there was very loud live music out on the very narrow and congested street where the school is located. A pre-wedding celebration! I've been told that in India, weddings are a very big event, lasting for days (even longer than a Ukranian wedding!). I went out to watch and take pictures. I'm sure that my smile was from ear to ear! There was a very slow procession of musicians and lady dancers looking very beautiful in their saris with their hair decorated. Much to my surprise, one lady took me by the arm and brought me into the street to dance with the other ladies! What an honour! I only danced for a minute or two and when I went to leave to go back to the side lines I was nabbed once again to pose for a picture with one of the ladies by what appeared to be the official photographer. I tried to get a picture of the bride, but there was too much activity to get a good shot. Later in the afternoon, there was again more music and fanfare. This is what I found...



The groom!

It feels so different to be in a country where there is so much culture and tradition. I suppose it can be found in Canada, but in a more scattered or diluted way.

Thanks for stopping by!
 

4 comments:

Shirley said...

Quite the production! I think you should have sung O Canada for them- I have proof that you can!
Oh there is plenty of culture here, is just that you don't notice it because it isn't "different". Like for example all the shenanigans yesterday for the Western Final football game.

Unknown said...

Haha Shirley I forgot about that video!

I love how accommodating and inclusive everyone appears to be with a stranger who doesn't speak their language. I'd like to think Canadians would show the same traits, but I'm a little pessimistic!

Kurious Kim said...

Even though I THINK I was accepting of non-English speaking people in Canada, I will be even more aware of my words and actions when I get back home. Yes, thank you for the reminder about the video Shirley. It is a fond memory for me :)

Unknown said...

Kim, I've been catching up on your posts (I can't sign up to be notified). Wow...what an incredible experience you are having. I am so, so very happy for you. Thank you for sharing all the amazing pictures, stories and insights you are gaining. They are touching me deeply.